What are Predicted Energy Assessments?

When the occupancy or ownership of a house changes hands, an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required. The EPC is a document that outlines the energy efficiency of a building, giving it a rating according to how energy efficient it is, as well as providing the customer with information relating to how much the energy bills are likely to be and giving recommendations as to how to the building can be made more energy-efficient.

If the house has not been built yet, a different kind of energy assessment is needed. And this is known as a ‘Predicted Energy Assessment’ (PEA).

The government has made this a legal requirement as part of its commitment to reduce climate change and protect the environment.

PEA’s Explained 

If you are constructing a building, it is not possible to carry out an EPC. It is important, however, for potential owners or occupiers to have a good understanding of the energy efficiency of a building. This means, therefore, that a predicted energy assessment (PEA) is required.

A Predicted Energy Assessment can be used as a guideline for builders and constructors to be able to check that the building is within the regulations relating to energy efficiency before it is built – and not before it to too late to change anything.

When a new building is designed, it must adhere to energy efficiency standards to ensure that its impact on the environment is controlled. The PEA is produced having looked at these energy efficiency measures, using the predicted SAP (thermal efficiency), and Environmental Impact Rating (CO2 Rating).

This PEA will then help constructors, new owners, and new occupiers to know if the new building will comply with the energy efficiency regulations and targets that have been set by the government.

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it measures the energy and environmental performance of a building. Some of the elements that are looked at during the SAP include the structure of the building, any renewables technology that is employed, the building’s heating and hot water system, and internal lighting.

These can include any insulation that will be installed (and to what level), whether double glazing is fitted, the type of heating system that the building will have, and any renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines.

SAP is used to give a building a rating as required by the building regulations before a building can be constructed, but it is also used as part of the investigation that happens to produce a standard Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The Environmental Impact Rating measures the impact of a building in terms of how much carbon dioxide (CO2) it puts into the atmosphere. The lower the level of carbon dioxide, the better.

Who Needs a Predicted Energy Assessment?

It is a legal requirement that the seller of a property provides a Predicted Energy Assessment to anyone who is buying the building – if it is yet to be built.  This is the case for all new build homes. If a commercial building is being built, a commercial PEA certificate is needed, and a Display Energy Certificate must be displayed if it is a public building once that it is in use.

Do I Need a Predicted Energy Assessment for a New Build? 

The PEA is produced during the design stage of the new construction. The assessor will predict the energy efficiency of the finished property based on the drawings of the building and this information given to potential buyers and renters of the building.

It is important to note that once the property is completed, a full Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendation Report needs to be provided.

Get in Touch with Assessors today

If you are building a new property and are looking to get a Predicted Energy Assessment, get in touch with us here at EPC For You. We can provide an award-winning energy survey surface and our expert team of assessors is standing by ready for you to get in touch.

You can contact us via our website, email, or by giving us a call.

Free Energy Quote